20 January 2021

E Pluribus Unum

It doesn't seem like it was twelve years ago that I cried tears of joy as our nation's first black president was sworn in. His youth, his vision, his hope. I cried again today - not from joy, although there is joy there. But from relief. 

Relief that our democracy withstood its greatest test in 160 years. Relief that I can wake up and read the news in the morning without having to brace myself for some atrocity which undermines the very fabric of our nation was committed or uttered in the name of the United States. Relief that the majority of my fellow Americans rejected lies, division, and fascism and instead chose truth, unity, and democracy. 

Unity comes through justice  - legal, economic, racial, and criminal. For all. 

It will not happen in a week, or a year, or even one presidential term.  But we must see that it happens. 



No comments: