16 April 2006

Easter and stuff

I think that National Geographic's release of its translation of the Gospel of Judas was deliberately timed to coincide with this, the holiest of days to Christians. I know - I'm incredibly jaded to think so, but here - see for yourself- front page on Slate. (at least it was when I posted this.) Of course, Catholics are outraged that anyone, even someone writing almost 2000 years ago, would dare disagree with their "inerrant" selection of Gospels - despite the fact that the text predates the first Council of Nicaea by at least 100 years. *sheesh* Wouldn't want a pesky thing like facts to interfere with "gospel truth."

Anyway - still reading and stressing, per usual. Just 13 short days until I crash and burn. Of course, my baby brother takes his comps on Tuesday, making me feel even more inadequate. Thanks, Josh! :-p

Off to shove more inane and useless crap into my incredibly imploding head.

3 comments:

Loren said...

Yeah, I saw the National Geographic show and loved it. But then again, I've always had a rather sympathetic view of Judas anyway. After all, Jesus knew what was going on, he told the apostle crew that one would betray him, and then told Judas to do what he had to do. ANd what he had to do, apparently, was set the events into motion that would allow Jesus to "die for our sins". That seems to be one of the defining moments that lead to christianity. Seems like it's a good thing, actually. But I guess it's more important to have Judas be an agent of the devil or something like that...Because without that, what would people use for the basis of antiSemetism? But that's just me.... I've always walked the line alittle to close to heresey for the average christian. Every since I asked in Sunday school "why did we stop worshipping God to worship Jesus?"...yeah, I think I stopped going to Sunday school after that.

But anywho, I'd tell you not to stress about comps so much... but it wouldn't do a damn bit of good, would it? You'll do better than you think you will. It might not be you're usual perfection, but you'll do fine.

A. said...

heh.

we'll see.

My comment to a drinker of the kool aid at Bellevue after she said "Why would Jesus ask Judas to betray him?" was "Why wouldn't he?"

She was silent.

;-P

Loren said...

Heh, heh... Isn't it funny how most christians will agree if you say that no human can know the mind of God, yet they are very quick to say what is and isn't possible and what God and Jesus couldn't possibliy have done or said. You can't have it both ways. God is either infinite or finite like us, pick one.

One of indictments of the Gospels of Judas as been that it was written after the "included" gospels, and therefor isn't a contemporary account. Granted, that particular copy isn't, although we have no idea when The Gospel of Judas was actually written. But going by test, then Genesis souldn't have made the cut either.

Anywho, I need to update my resume and start calling to set up interviews. yippee.